Friday, December 16, 2011

Chalk Paint.. my new BFF

Since having my little booth at Rockin B' Antiques in Sharpsburg, I've heard over and over again about the marvelous time saving benefits from using Chalk Paint... Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint to be exact.  So I decided to do some research online and just by seeing the "after" pictures like the one below.. I was in!
painted dresser from Mustard Seed

One of the best blogs out there for "how to" Chalk Paint would be Shaunna's blog called Perfectly Imperfect.  Not only does she go through  the procedure step by step, but she also gives you the cost break down vs. latex paint.  (Trust me.. you'll first gasp at the $35 per quart price tag but after seeing Shaunna's comparisons, you'll gladly pay the price) 

Most importantly the chalk paint can be used on any surface w/o the need to sand or prime first.  The paint has low VOC's (volatile organic compounds) and has barely any odor.  The paint has a wonderful consistency so only one layer is needed, even though I usually do 2.  Finally it is so easy to distress your pieces and achieve an old world patina by using waxes.  It truly is that easy!
chalk paint choices from Annie Sloan
Gorgeous French looking creations all with chalk paint from Annie Sloan
My project this week was a tiny wooden table that I picked up at Rockin B' Antiques.  I painted the table with Old Violet. 
2 coats went on smoothly, then I roughed up the table with sandpaper for a distressed look.
 The secret is in the sauce.. well wax in this case.  Annie Sloan's dark wax was used on the table for a more weathered look.
 Viola.. the finished piece.  Simply beautiful!
Click here to find a stockist near you.  For my local peeps, Twist on Main in Senoia carries a wonderful selection of chalk paint.

 Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment